Friday, March 18, 2011

Saladin vs. Lionheat

[warmup]

Read these quotes about Saladin and Richard the Lionheart. 
Based on the quotes below:
1) What are your impression of them as leaders?
Based on the quotes Saladin seemed like a man who..... He also..... On the other hand Richard the Lionheart seemed liked a man who..... He would never.....
2) Which would you rather have be your leader? Why?
Personally, I'd prefer to have a leader like ....... because ...... and .....

Saladin
Lionheart
"Those who knew Saladin say little about his physical appearance: he was small and frail, with a short, neat beard. They prefer to speak of his pensive and somewhat melancholy face, which would suddenly light up with a comforting smile that would put anyone talking to him at ease."
"Richard of England, a red-haired giant, generous, incredibly brave, hot-tempered and tactless, won a great reputation in the capture of Acre, but quarreled with his allies who left him and went home.
"In general, one may say that Saladin was as demanding of himself as Nur al-Din [his predecessor] had been, but more lenient with others, although he was even more merciless than his elder when dealing with those who had insulted Islam.
"A very powerful man of great courage and spirit. He fought great battles and showed a burning passion for war. The king was indeed a man of wisdom, experience, courage and energy.......excitable, brave and clever." 
"Saladin did not spend a single gold or silver coin on anything except a jihad (holy war). Out of his desire to fight for God's cause he left behind his family, children, country, home and all the towns under his control." 
"His ambition was that of a mere warrior: he would fight for anything whatever, but he would sell everything that was worth fighting for. The glory that he sought was that of victory rather than conquest."
"I never saw him insult anyone. He always stuck to his word and was loyal. No orphan ever came to him without Saladin offering to provide the same amount of care as his father had done. He treated old people kindly and generously."
"He was tall in stature, of shapely build, with hair between red and yellow. His limbs were straight and flexible; his arms somewhat long; he had long legs.
"When Richard (the Lionheart) fell ill with a fever and appealed to Saladin to send him pears and peaches. Saladin sent him fruit and snow from the mountains to cool his blood"
"Richard was not a good king. He cared only for his soldiers. But he was brave, and loved a brave man." 

[video questions]
What happened after the the crusaders took over Jerusalem?
Explain what kinds of things the crusaders built?
Saladin was a unique leader. What kind of person was he? Give 3 examples from the video to support your answer (you’ll find answers to this question throughout the video not just in this section)
What is Jihad?
Richard the Lionheart was also a unique leader. What kind of person was he? Give 3 examples from the video to support your answer (you’ll find answers to this question throughout the video not just in this section)
How did the crusades change the way Europeans treated the sick?
By the end of the crusades, how did Richard the Lionheart and Saladin treat each other?

22 comments:

  1. I'd rather die than to be under the leadership of either of them.
    My impression of "lionheart" is Tyrannical. My impression of saladin is religious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the quotes saladin seems like he is very respectful and generous and cared about the people he ruled.

    Based on what was said about lionheart he seems like a ruthless violent man that gets excited by bloodshed. Only cared about war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra & Ty
    I think that they were great leaders because they were smart, and people seemed to worship them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would rather have saladin be my leader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'd rather have saladin be my ruler because he will care about my family even if i wasnt a soldier. He is fair and he wont abuse his power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lionhearted guy seems like he was just the best soldier he could be. The Saladin guy seems weak. If I could choose I would choose the lionhearted guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason I'd rather die than to be ruled by either is because with a religious leader, there is always complications that run deep, a religiously lead bloodthirst is something I hate.
    With a tyrannical leader, I'd probably die quickly and he wouldn't know or really care. All he cares about is his leadership, what he wants.
    Either way I'd rather die.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Based on this quote I think that saladin was a really sweet man!. He cared about other people and tried his best to be a good person to others. On the other hand LionHeart is very rude and cold hearted he seems mean and someone that I would not want to be the leader.
    I think I would rather have neither of them as a leader because Saladin would prolly be a push over and LionHeart would be on some extra stuff trying to act all tough and stuff Hha! but yeah I couldn't go for either of them.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Based on the quotes Saladin seemed like a small man who liked destruction. He treated his allies well and gave people respect, but did everything to start wars with his enemies. That's not too much of a bad thing because then that would make his enemies fear him. On the other hand, Richard the LionHearted seemed powerful looking, but not that smart. Having a hot-temper can really ruin things and cause extra wars that won't benefit him. If he only cared about his soldiers then what about the others who aren't? It doesn't seem like he was thinking about everyone while he was ruling.

    I would prefer Saladin as a ruler because he seems smart and caring for others that don't threaten him. It's important to make peace with others to create allies for when you go to war.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that these men who make good leaders. I think the saladin who make a good leader because he treats people nicely. He treats everyone with respect which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What leadeR i weather have is saladin the one on the left side because he seem like a nice person. I think that he wouldn't be so mean to the people that he ruled. I think he a peaceful leader.I think a vert trueful man and if he going to say something he does it.I think they are very great men. I think that they are both caring men.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Based on the quotes Saladin seemed like a man who is calm, confident, and loyal He also was a great leader. On the other hand Richard the Lionheart seemed liked a man who wanted to get what he is doing done and won't let anyone or anything get in his way He would never be a good ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would personally rather have not chosen either. Salidan seemed like he was to full of himself, and Richard was a horrible king.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Richard Lionheart... What do I say about him.
    He is one of those men who grace the cover of romance novels, gallant and brave, quick to fury and knows how to fight. Every woman's dream I guess. I don't think he made/would make a really good leader, all leaders with a passion for fighting, or for war, generally have a hard time thinking long term or... Have a hard time thinking at all. (Of course there are exceptions to this rule, one of our presidents... *cough cough*)
    Saladin actually... Although I don't agree with his religious views, he would seem like a much better leader. A collective mind and mercy go hand in hand when it comes to ruling. My first impression would be skill over brutality on this guy, he doesn't seem to be... A "fighter" more of a tactician of war. If he knows the terrain and the enemy well enough, there is a great chance of success for his side. I would much rather be under his rule than some quick tempered brute.
    Beards ftw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. saladin was more about the people and the other guy was more about his soldier

    ReplyDelete
  16. can u please write me on facebook in a message.
    Diamond-Charlay

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saladan seems more like a modern leader than a leader of the Middle Ages. He seems to me like a man that won his kinghood not through war and conquest, but rather through tact diplomacy. He seems like he would be a good friend to have.

    Richard seems like your typical brave knight/king. He would probably go and conquer other lands and expand empires, but I don't think he was a very good leader of his people. I don't think he would be a very good day-to-day leader.

    The decision between the two is difficult. Richard the Lionheart seems like someone who would strike hope and excitement in me. He brings to the table ideas of progress and adventure. However, I think I would prefer Saladin to be a leader. I like to think of myself as a pacifist, so I wouldn't feel very comfortable with ol' Rich being my leader.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. I feel like Saladin was a good leader whereas Richard was more of a... not so good leader. Based on what is said about him he only cared about winning wars. He would've made a great knight but isn't a good king.

    2. I would want Saladin to be my leader because based on the quotes he seems like a kind person.

    ReplyDelete
  19. salid seems like a good person who could ease anyones mind.He seems to have a lot of morals and will sacrifice for the good of all people. Lion heart sounds like a man who would fight for what ever he believed in. He seems to be very brave. He almost sound like a person that could hurt any thing because it says he is a red heart giant.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. It seems to me that Saladin was pretty nice and Lionheart seems like he only likes war.

    2. I would rather have Saladin since Lionheart only cares about war.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1.Saladin is more caring and Lionheart is more cold and war hungry. He thinks more with brawn than brain and heart. While Saladin viewed emotions into the problem and kindness.
    2.I prefer Saladin because he wouldn't throw me into a war or sacrifice me in order for his victory.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. Saladin seems like a some what good leader and a king. Lionheart seems like he is full of himself and kind of abuses his power as king.
    2. I would rather have Saladin as my leader because he actually tries to be a good leader. Plus he doesn't seem selfish or greedy.

    ReplyDelete