Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Saladin vs. Lionheat II

[warmup]
If you didn't do the warmup Friday complete the questions below... or you already did Friday's warmup good job. Instead write about something interesting, anything interesting, just write something that will keep me entertained.



Read these quotes about Saladin and Richard the Lionheart. 
Based on the quotes below:
1) What are your impression of them as leaders?
Based on the quotes Saladin seemed like a man who..... He also..... On the other hand Richard the Lionheart seemed liked a man who..... He would never.....
2) Which would you rather have be your leader? Why?
Personally, I'd prefer to have a leader like ....... because ...... and .....

Saladin
Lionheart
"Those who knew Saladin say little about his physical appearance: he was small and frail, with a short, neat beard. They prefer to speak of his pensive and somewhat melancholy face, which would suddenly light up with a comforting smile that would put anyone talking to him at ease."
"Richard of England, a red-haired giant, generous, incredibly brave, hot-tempered and tactless, won a great reputation in the capture of Acre, but quarreled with his allies who left him and went home.
"In general, one may say that Saladin was as demanding of himself as Nur al-Din [his predecessor] had been, but more lenient with others, although he was even more merciless than his elder when dealing with those who had insulted Islam.
"A very powerful man of great courage and spirit. He fought great battles and showed a burning passion for war. The king was indeed a man of wisdom, experience, courage and energy.......excitable, brave and clever." 
"Saladin did not spend a single gold or silver coin on anything except a jihad (holy war). Out of his desire to fight for God's cause he left behind his family, children, country, home and all the towns under his control." 
"His ambition was that of a mere warrior: he would fight for anything whatever, but he would sell everything that was worth fighting for. The glory that he sought was that of victory rather than conquest."
"I never saw him insult anyone. He always stuck to his word and was loyal. No orphan ever came to him without Saladin offering to provide the same amount of care as his father had done. He treated old people kindly and generously."
"He was tall in stature, of shapely build, with hair between red and yellow. His limbs were straight and flexible; his arms somewhat long; he had long legs.
"When Richard (the Lionheart) fell ill with a fever and appealed to Saladin to send him pears and peaches. Saladin sent him fruit and snow from the mountains to cool his blood"
"Richard was not a good king. He cared only for his soldiers. But he was brave, and loved a brave man." 

[video questions]
What happened after the the crusaders took over Jerusalem?
Explain what kinds of things the crusaders built?
Saladin was a unique leader. What kind of person was he? Give 3 examples from the video to support your answer (you’ll find answers to this question throughout the video not just in this section)
What is Jihad?
Richard the Lionheart was also a unique leader. What kind of person was he? Give 3 examples from the video to support your answer (you’ll find answers to this question throughout the video not just in this section)
How did the crusades change the way Europeans treated the sick?
By the end of the crusades, how did Richard the Lionheart and Saladin treat each other?

9 comments:

  1. I'm still pushing these tattoo's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I GET MY KIMONO!!!!! I finally convinced my mom after a long time of asking my mom she is finally buying my kimono style dress for my presentation for Mr.Jarman's class and I am going to impress Mr.Jarman hopefully with my presentation that I am planning for our Animal Behavior project. I want to make it a really impressive presentation. I am going to try to make manta ray looking sushi made of shrimp since that is what Manta Rays eat. Also going to wear my kimono looking dress to the presentation since it fits the sushi theme and also we have to dress up nicely for the presentation. I am actually for once excited about a project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonight I am going to buy a kitty sweatshirt that has cat ears on the hood and it comes with gloves with cats on it and I am SO excited!!! (^._.^) And Andrew is buying it for me since I don't have any money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already did the warm-up on Friday. So I'm going to talk about my weekend. I went over my uncles house on Saturday. We went to Perkins. Then we went back to his house. My aunt, uncle, cousin, and mom was at the house. My aunt and I were watching Freedom Writers and the guys were watching Jersey Shore downstairs. My aunt thought that my uncle called her so she turned around and said, "Babe, did u just say 'babe dumbass'??" (Sorry for the language but that's what they said.) I was laughing so hard I was crying. I was probably laughing for a good 5 minutes. My aunt told me to stop laughing at her. But he more she told me to stop laughing at her the more I would laugh ! That was a highlight of my weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Based on the quotes i would think that they where some alright leaders.
    2. I would choose loinheart to be my leader. I say this because i liked more of his quotes then i liked the other guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty stoked about the anime convention, even though I don't have my cosplay finished yet. Hopefully my friend Elizabeth's mom can help me with the sewing, she's good at that. She fixed my coat once y'know. The only thing I don't like about conventions is how crowded they are. This year it's in a really small hotel so that makes it even worse! Hopefully i'll get to stay in a hotel room with veronica and elsie.
    Every convention I go to something bad happens. I always hit someone in the face or some stranger blows something I said way out of proportion. e_e Idk, I'm not very good with large groups of people, especially mega dorks (even though I'm sort of a mega dork. The difference between them and me is that I have a soul). Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This summer i will play aau basketball and do summer school.Most of the time i will be practicing working on my jump shot so that i can become a better shooter.I also will be working on shooting free throw. There will be a lot of things to do this summer but i will stick to working on my game and body.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Based on the quotes Saladin seemed like a man who was loyal but also mean when he had to be. He also kind to the people. On the other hand Richard the Lionheart seemed liked a man who had a big reputation for war and stuff. He was very powerful. He would never show weakness.

    2) Which would you rather have be your leader? Why?I Would rather have Richard the Lionheart because he is strong and confident.
    Personally, I'd prefer to have a leader like ....... because ...... and .....

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1.)I really do not know they are both very generous I guess.


    2.)I rather have Saladin as a leader because he is a little bit more generous and he is also respectful. If I had the decision to pick to not have a leader at all I would probably not have one because nobody runs me..........except for my
    parents i guess.

    ARIANA WARREN

    ReplyDelete