Monday, December 6, 2010

Ancient Greece

Today we start looking at the ancient Greek civilians. The Greeks had countless contributions to the modern western world including, but not limited to: architecture, art, drama, literature, philosophy, math and science.

[warmup]
There are two options for the warmup today. You can write about the college tour of MCTC or what prior knowledge you have on the Greeks.

1)Answer the following questions about your college tour:
-What did you notice about MCTC (What did it look like and feel like in this local college)?
-What was the most impressive part of MCTC?
-Could you see yourself going there? Why or why not?
-Did this trip change your plans for PSEO or college? Why or Why not?

--OR--

2)Answer the following questions about your prior knowledge of the Greeks.
-List anything you know about the greeks and their contributions of the world.
-Where did you learn this knowledge from?
-What parts of Ancient Greece are you most excited to learn about?


[Lesson]
Go to my shared folder and download the Map of Ancient Greece(notebook file).
Follow the directions on the map to create your own map of Ancient Greece.
First thing is make sure to save it on your desktop.
-You will need to open all three of the links at the bottom to see the maps you are using as resources.
http://www.la-grece.com/images/carte-physique.jpg
http://bama.ua.edu/~ksummers/cl222/ancient_greece_map.jpg
http://www.greeka.com/greece-maps/ancient-greece-map.jpg
-Turn it in to my drop box (it should about 20-30 minutes).
-Once you finish with the map you should be working on your script for Jarman (since you only got 5 minutes in his class to work on it yesterday).


[guiding questions]
What kind of geography does Greece have?
How might this geography have effected the way the greek civilizations worked?
Where is Greece (both modern Greece and the ancient Greek civilizations)?
What/where are some important features of Greece?

7 comments:

  1. MCTC Warm-Up
    1. To me, I thought the school campus was big.
    2. The most impressive part about MCTC is that you can take your PSEO classes there and you can transfer whatever you studied to whatever college you want to go to.
    3. Kind of. I heard that if you take your PSEO classes at a University you have a better chance of getting scholarships from a University.MCTC looks like a really good school but I don't think I see myself going there.
    4. Yes it kind of changed my plans for PSEO. I originally wanted to study journalism but now I wanted to study Psychology AND Journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.I noticed there are many different types of people and I felt welcomed.
    2.Impressive was that philosophy is what is most useful for any career
    3.I could for PSEO only though.
    4.I want to take PSEO for all 4 generals for junior and senior year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -What did you notice about MCTC (What did it look like and feel like in this local college)?

    It looked like a pretty good college.

    -What was the most impressive part of MCTC?

    I think that the Culinary Art class looked pretty cool.

    -Could you see yourself going there? Why or why not?

    I kinda can. It would be a good one for me to go to for PSEO because they have a partnership with the UM and I might go there.

    -Did this trip change your plans for PSEO or college? Why or Why not?

    Nope. It just didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -What did you notice about MCTC (What did it look like and feel like in this local college)?
    - It seemed kind of like our school, with all of the glass windows they had. & Also it had a good environment. Like their was a good vibe throughout the school.

    -What was the most impressive part of MCTC?

    I liked that the counselors would help you find what classes you want to take, depending on what you wanted to go to school for.

    -Could you see yourself going there? Why or why not?

    Yes, I do see myself going there. Because I want to be something that requires 7 or 8 years of college. So if I get the chance to start early, why not take it.

    -Did this trip change your plans for PSEO or college? Why or Why not?

    Well, no. Because I already had it in my mind that I was going to do PSEO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to learn more about the greek warriors. They seem to always have a war going on and I am very interesting in war. The greek warriors seem to be shown in many different ways. Sometimes in books they are heroic saviors of their people and other times they are just dirty slaves that have to fight for their country. I think this would be a very interesting aspect to learn about in real life as apposed to seeing Hollywoods version of the Greek warrior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The MCTC trip was very interesting to me because at first me and ariana did not want to go because we said we were not going to do PSEO so we hid in MR. Greens room and they sent Mr. Bennett and Mr. Maskie on us. Then on the way there we were talking about PSEO and how some students told me that it was hard and they started failing there school grades so that made me not want to do it. Now I think my final thing that I want to go to college for is business and management because I like to boss people around so then I can be a CEO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1)I noticed that it is big and has many things that I can choose.
    2)What made me increase was the child development part because the can practice and learn at the same time
    3)Maybe for PSEO junior and senior year because for college I am going out of state.
    no because I had it all figured before I went there.

    ReplyDelete